John Wayland Harr
Areas of service:Portland and Vancouver
- Email verified
- Fixr reviewed
Contact John Wayland Harr
Guitar Instructor and Guitarist
Request an estimate
John Wayland Harr - Portland, OR
- You'll be asked to describe what you need.
- You'll be asked to provide your details so that John Harr may contact you.
- You'll get estimates from other qualified service professionals.
About John Wayland Harr
Hello there! My name is John Harr. I am a full-time guitarist and guitar educator. Here is a bit about me and what I do/offer:
• I have degrees in Music Education (K-12) and Music Performance
• I taught three years of elementary music and two and a half years of high school guitar in the public school system in Willamina, OR.
• I teach guitar classes with the Art Conspiracy summer arts program in June/July. The students' ages range from 9-18.
• I have had students of all ages (young children to adults) and experience levels (absolute beginner to advanced).
• Other than teaching, I am a full-time musician and perform regularly throughout the Pacific NW.
• My background is in classical guitar and jazz, however, I am not limited to these two schools of music.
• Here are several things that I can teach you: how to read standard music notation on the guitar, chord theory, chords/strumming, music theory, scales, arpeggios, "correct" technique, improvisation, sight reading, soloing, ear training, transcribing music, etc.
• I like to find out what my students' goals are with the guitar and then develop my curriculum/teaching method to help them achieve these.
• You can come to me or I can travel to you for lessons. The
price/rates are different for each of these options.
• Weekdays are the best days for me for scheduling lesson. Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday in particular are my preferred days. However, I am willing to work with your schedule if this isn't possible.
• Having a weekly lesson is the best format for learning, however, I am able to do one shot lessons or biweekly as well.
Questions and answers
- What information do you recommend to have readily available before looking for a professional in your trade?
If you are seeking a guitar teacher, try to communicate any specific goals to your potential instructor right away.
For example, if you want to learn how to strum chords, play blues solos, learn jazz chords, or something else, it is beneficial to you AND the instructor to make this known even before you begin lessons. This enables YOU to find out if this is something the instructor can help you with and it informs the instructor what you would like to learn. If you find a good instructor, he/she will pay attention to this information as it will help in meeting your goals (which is what their job is).
- What do you wish customers knew about your profession or trade?
When a musician is hired either to perform or teach, the hours billed are only a fraction of the total work involved. All practice hours, travel time, set up and tear down time, teaching prep and research time, are not formally included in this one hour but are absolutely essential. A true professional, will do all of these things because they are necessary for a job well done.
When customers/clients are considering a musician's performing or teaching rates, they should be aware of this. If someone is offering performance or teaching services at EXTREMELY low rates, they may not be doing all of this necessary work.
- What areas of your trade do you specialize in?
I have experience teaching a variety of instruments (keyboard, recorder, voice, and percussion), however, I am the most knowledgable at teaching the guitar. I have taught in both private/one-on-one and group formats.
I have a great deal of experience as a performing guitarist. I maintain a busy performance schedule at wineries, weddings, dinners, and other public and private events. I perform with acoustic nylon and steel string guitars, electric guitar, and also use a loop pedal. While primarily hired as a solo instrumental guitarist, I am also frequently contracted as a vocalist. I have a WIDE repertoire of music to chose from including jazz, classical, pop, and original.