Home Theater Room Addition Cost
How much does it cost to add a home theater room?
Adding an entire room to the home can be a challenge, and for this discussion we will look at the costs and requirements for the addition of a 16' x 25' room (on a crawlspace foundation) which will function as a home theater. This means that exterior walls and the ceiling will use basic soundproofing techniques.
The prices discussed will not take into consideration the electronic components used to complete that actual theater, but will simply consider construction and finishing expenses. This type of project will not be considered a "DIY" project in the least, and several contractors will be necessary for the job (carpentry, installation, electrical, etc.).
According to Hanley Wood and their "Remodeling" magazine the average home theater addition in a new room added to the home, finished with drywall, functional doors and windows, and soundproofing will cost $82,756. The resale value of this update would hold at $54,051, or a roughly 65% return on investment.
The above figures place the home theater addition at $207 per square foot. This pricing structure assumes that carpenters charge an average of $70 per hour, electricians between $65 to $85 per hour, and painters between $20 and $35 per hour.
What needs to be included:
- Architectural design services to ensure that the home entertainment room is housed in a structure in a style appropriate to the existing house, and up to code for the neighborhood or area in which the home is located. This should require no more than 10 - 17% of the total building budget;
- Pour concrete footings and slab if no crawlspace foundation exists - Average price of concrete is $75 per cubic yard, with piers and the full slab it that would require roughly 16 cubic yards and would cost at least $1200;
- Build roof trusses and support beam system and tie into existing house - lumber prices will vary as will the design used by the carpenters constructing the home theater. The project should require 2x4 wood framing with a 2x6 bottom plate upon which alternating studs are added to provide a sound barrier, along with OSB structural sheathing;
- Asphalt shingles with galvanized metal flashing - Average of $80 to $100 per square of 50-year shingles. Total cost of $500, plus installation time of at least 16 hours;
- Install vinyl siding and trim - Average price of $7 per square foot installed, and for the 730 square feet needed, this would total $5100;
- Finish ceilings and walls - Drywall throughout would require 33 panels of 4'x8' for walls and ceiling at $11.80 each (plus screws, nails and finishing compound) for an approximate total of $390 plus approximately 24 hours of installation;
- Fiberglass wall and attic insulation with R-38 value will cost $1.80 per square foot (installed) $1070;
- 2 six-panel primed hardboard doors - Average of $178 each for a total of $356 plus six hours of installation;
- Install one 3'x6'8" exterior door with half-glass and lockset - Average of $250 to $1000 depending upon the style of the door;
- A snap-together laminate flooring system - Average of $7 to $11 per square foot at 400 square feet for a cost of $4400 installed;
- Four new windows - Average price of $300-$700 per window, plus installation time of two to five hours per window. Be sure that the windows purchased will qualify for tax deductions;
- Tie into existing HVAC - Average cost will vary according to pre-existing system, but all sound-dampening methods should be discussed;
- Provide electrical wiring and lighting to code - This is going to depend upon the amount of work required, but electricians average from $65 to $85 per hour. This project might be priced on a per item basis, or the electrician might simply base it on the square footage; and
- Provide carpentry to code - This is going to depend upon the amount of work required, but carpenters average $70 per hour. This project might be priced on a per item basis, or the carpenter might simply base it on the square footage.
Additional considerations and costs
- Removal or modification or pre-existing porch or deck over crawlspace foundation;
- 12 recessed ceiling lights; and
- Painting of trim and walls.
You may want to check out our 3D Home-Theater Infographic