How much does it cost to have foam roofing installed?
Foam roofing is a durable, eco-friendly roofing alternative that can lower energy bills due to its light color and light weight. The cost of installing a foam roof depends on the style and size of the house, by typically averages $4-$5 per square foot, for a total of $4800-$6000 for a 1200 square foot home. Because foam roofing comes from a chemical reaction and requires special equipment, it is recommended to always hire a professional instead of doing the work yourself.
- Materials: foam roofing is applied using a spray process that involves a chemical reaction that expands the sprayed material to 20 times its size. The necessary materials and equipment average $2 per square foot, meaning it will cost $2400 in materials for a 1200 square foot home.
- Labor: moost roofers will charge $2-$3 per square foot, making the total cost for a 1200 square foot home $2400 to $3600. You should expect a standard roof project to take one to two days to complete.
Enhancement and improvement costs
- If you live in an area with lots sun and want to block more of the UV rays, you can add a special protective layer to the roof, but it will increase your overall costs by around one third.
- Foam roofs naturally lower energy costs because they are lightweight and white, so they naturally reflect heat. You can potentially lower your energy bill even more by adding an extra layer of foam to make the roof thicker and more reflective. Adding an extra layer costs $0.50-$1.00 per square foot.
- A great option for preventing future leaks is to apply roof sealant. This typically costs $850-$1000 for a standard roof.
Additional considerations and costs
- Underlayment 1 is a waterproofing membrane always recommended to prevent the ingress of moisture and other elements. It also provides weatherproofing until the roof is installed. This can be found at approximately $61 per square or more depending on its brand and quality. It is required depending on the type of roofing material and slope. Check local codes for requirements.
- Installing or replacing a roof may require a permit or approval from your homeowners association. Talk to a roofing contractor about the specifics in your area.
- Silicone foam coating isn't as common or widespread and is only slightly more expensive (about 10%-15%) in the long run.
- Roofs with lots of architectural details or obstructions, such as skylights, pipes, and chimneys, may require more time to spray the roof, which will increase the overall cost based on the number of extra hours.
Remodeling Terms Cheat Sheet
Definitions in laymen's terms, cost considerations, pictures and things you need to know.
See full cheat sheet.
: Roofing material laid underneath roofing tiles to seal the roof, preventing leaks
Cost to have foam roofing installed varies greatly by region (and even by zipcode). To get free estimates from local contractors, please indicate yours.