How much does it cost cost to install a thermostat?
In an era with lots of technical advancements, many people are choosing to upgrade their thermostats to newer models. For this example, we'll look at the cost of installing a standard digital thermostat, which typically costs $200-$250 for a standard 2000 square foot home. Although you can hire a professional, many thermostats can be installed on your own.
Enhancement and improvement costs
- Many wireless smart thermostats 1 come with a remote for programming, but an additional remote can add around $200 to your total cost. You may also need to purchase a hub to connect the thermostat 1 with your wireless internet, which can add another $100-$200.
Additional considerations and costs
- A built-in 2 on-unit thermostat 1 can be easier to install, which may lead to a lower overall cost, but a wall thermostat 1 tends to be more accurate.
- The more expensive thermostats 1 can often break the home into different zones to automatically change the heat at different levels throughout the house. This is much more difficult to do with manual thermostats 1.
- Most electronic smart thermostats 1 require a smartphone or tablet with the corresponding app installed to control the system remotely.
- Digital and electronic thermostats 1 are the most energy efficient and can lead to energy savings in the long run.
- Some electronic smart thermostats 1 can sync with your home security system or smoke detectors 3, allowing you to monitor everything from the same app.
- Most thermostats 1 are compatible with central heat or central air, but if you have a less common heating system, such as gas, oil or electric, you may need to double check that your new thermostat 1 will connect to the system.
- Some thermostats 1 allow users to program the settings every day for a week, while others apply the same settings to every day, regardless of the day of the week. Make sure you know exactly how programmable your thermostat 1 is before you buy it.
Remodeling Terms Cheat Sheet
Definitions in laymen's terms, cost considerations, pictures and things you need to know.
See full cheat sheet.
: A device that senses and regulates temperature by turning heating and cooling devices on and off
: An item of furniture, such as a bookcase or set of cabinets, that is built directly into the structure of the room. Built-ins are therefore customized to the room and not detachable
: Device that responds to a physical event or change in the environment by emitting an output signal
Cost cost to install a thermostat varies greatly by region (and even by zipcode). To get free estimates from local contractors, please indicate yours.