How much does it cost to build a porch?
Adding a porch is one way to give any home instant curb appeal, and for this discussion we will consider the costs and requirements for the addition of a 16'x20' covered porch. This is definitely not a "DIY" project, and several contractors might be necessary for the job (carpentry, concrete, electrical, etc.).
For the porch addition, the typical costs include:
- According to Hanley Wood and their "Remodeling" magazine the average porch addition in which a completely covered and enclosed porch is added to the exterior of a home will cost $21,670. The resale value of this update would hold at $18,181 or a nearly 84% return on investment.
- The above figures place the kitchen update at $67 per square foot. This pricing structure assumes that carpenters charge an average of $70 per hour, electricians between $65 to $85 per hour, and painters between $20 and $35 per hour.
What needs to be included:
- Pour concrete footings and set 4x4 posts as piers - Average price of concrete is $75 per cubic yard, with 6 to 9 piers that would require roughly two cubic yards each. This would total $1350.
- Build floor joist system utilizing SYP (southern yellow pine) pressure-treated deck boards - Average of 35 20' boards installed as sub-floor at $15 each for a total of $525, plus installation time of 8 hours.
- Build roof trusses and support beam system and tie into existing house (based on assumption that roof is gabled variety) - lumber prices will vary as will the design used by the carpenters constructing the porch. The project will require joists and beams as well as plywood.
- Asphalt shingles - Average of $80 to $100 per square of 50-year shingles. Total cost of $800, plus installation time of 16 hours.
- Install 6X6 box columns w/ ScreenTight screen system - Average at $1.80 per square foot of opening. Total cost for materials is $1080, plus installation** time of 24 hours.
- Install bead board ceiling - Average price per bundle (6 boards at 8' lengths) $30. Total cost $300, plus installation time of roughly 16 hours.
- Provide electrical wiring and lighting to code - This is going to depend upon the amount of work required, but electricians average from $65 to $85 per hour. This project might be priced on a per item basis, or the carpenter might simply base it on the square footage.
Enhancement and improvement costs
- Demolition of any pre-existing decking or structure
- Center ceiling fan.
- Include stairs, assuming three steps to grade.
- Painting or staining.
Additional considerations and costs
If you are going to work with a contractor it is completely acceptable to ask for at least three different bids from three different groups. This is going to give a very accurate idea of the total costs and the level of control you will have over project.