How much does it cost to build a porch?
Adding a porch is one way to give any home instant curb appeal, and for this discussion we will consider the costs and requirements for the addition of a 16'x20' covered porch. This is definitely not a "DIY" project, and several contractors might be necessary for the job (carpentry, concrete, electrical, etc.).
For the porch addition, the typical costs include:
- According to Hanley Wood and their "Remodeling" magazine the average porch addition in which a completely covered and enclosed porch is added to the exterior of a home will cost $21,670. The resale value of this update would hold at $18,181 or a nearly 84% return on investment.
- The above figures place the porch addition at $67 per square foot. This pricing structure assumes that carpenters charge an average of $70 per hour, electricians between $65 to $85 per hour, and painters between $20 and $35 per hour.
What needs to be included:
- Pour concrete footings 1 and set 4x4 posts as piers. Average price of concrete is $75 per cubic yard, with 6 to 9 piers that would require roughly two cubic yards each. This would total $1350.
- Build floor joist system utilizing SYP 2 (southern yellow pine 2) pressure-treated deck boards. Average of 35 20' boards installed as sub-floor at $15 each for a total of $525, plus installation time of 8 hours.
- Build roof trusses 3 and support beam system and tie into existing house (based on assumption that roof is gabled variety), lumber prices will vary as will the design used by the carpenters constructing the porch. The project will require joists and beams as well as plywood 4.
- Install 6X6 box columns w/ ScreenTight screen system. Average at $1.80 per square foot of opening. Total cost for materials is $1080, plus installation time of 24 hours.
- Install bead board ceiling. Average price per bundle (6 boards at 8' lengths) $30. Total cost $300, plus installation time of roughly 16 hours.
- Provide electrical wiring and lighting to code. This is going to depend upon the amount of work required, but electricians average from $65 to $85 per hour. This project might be priced on a per item basis, or the carpenter might simply base it on the square footage.
Enhancement and improvement costs
- Demolition of any pre-existing decking or structure
- Center ceiling fan.
- Include stairs, assuming three steps to grade.
- Painting or staining.
Additional considerations and costs
If you are going to work with a contractor it is completely acceptable to ask for at least three different bids from three different groups. This is going to give a very accurate idea of the total costs and the level of control you will have over project.
Remodeling Terms Cheat Sheet
Definitions in laymen's terms, cost considerations, pictures and things you need to know.
See full cheat sheet.
: A support for the foundation of a house that also helps prevent settling. It is typically made of concrete reinforced with rebar, but can also be made of masonry or brick. It is usually built under a heavier part of the house like a wall or column, to distribute the weight of the house over a larger area.
2 Southern yellow pine
: (Also known as Syp) An acronym for Southern Yellow Pine, a group of three-needled pines commonly used as construction materials in the United States
: Structural framework used to support a roof
: An engineered construction material manufactured from thin slices of wood glued together in alternating grain patterns for strength
: A viscous, black mixture of hydrocarbons often used for roofing and waterproofing. It is also used in asphalt for paving roads
: A smooth, uniform, flat piece of construction material, available in a wide variety of materials and laid in a series of overlapping rows, used to cover the outside of roofs or walls to protect against weather damage and leaks.
Cost to build a porch varies greatly by region (and even by zipcode). To get free estimates from local contractors, please indicate yours.