How Much Does It Cost to Have Composite Roofing Installed?
Composite roofing is a man-made type of shake or shingle that looks like wood. It is an earth-friendly, durable and attractive option for many homes. Composite shakes and shingles are made from a mixture of materials, usually recycled. It's available painted or unpainted. Composite roofing is extremely durable with a lifespan of up to 50 years. Some of these products are even guaranteed for life. This type of roofing is made to resist algae and moss and they block UV rays. They will not crack, split, peel, blister or warp. Composite roofing is available in a good choice of colors, shapes and sizes, it's fireproof, and can be painted to look like wood.
For this discussion we will look at the cost of replacing the roof of a 40'x60' roof - the most common size roof in the U.S. - with composite roofing 1. This is a 2-story home. The roof is 24 squares (a square is a 10'x10' area) or 2400 sq.ft. overall. We will be using single width composite shakes 2 in a weathered silver blend color.
- The cost of composite roofing 1 can vary some depending on style and brand, but it averages about $110 per roofing square.
- Tearing the old roofing off and discarding it usually costs around $30 per roofing square.
- Labor to install the new composition roof will vary depending on the locality, but averages $55.50 per square.
- This job will not include ridge vent 3 snow guards or brackets 4. The current gutters and downspouts and water diverters will be used. There are no turbine vents, skylight/solar tubes involved.
- This is a 2-story home so this adds $25.50 per square or $610 to the cost.
- Total for materials, demolishing the old roof and hauling it away, and labor for installing the new roof comes to $5470. All figures are according to RSMeans Contractor's Pricing Guide Residential Repair & Remodeling Costs 2015.
Enhancement and Improvement Costs
- Amill finish aluminum ridge vent 3 could be added, this would add about $7.40 per linear foot or about $295.80 to the total costs.
- Galvanized gutters is another possible addition and would add $7.80 per linear foot or $1555 to the total costs. including material, labor, 5" galvanized steel 5 gutter with enamel finish, fittings, hangers, and corners.
- If galvanized downspouts are installed, add to the above $7.46 per linear foot including labor. The average downspout is 14 linear feet for the downstairs plus 10 for the second story for 24 linear feet. So the total additional cost is $180.
- Another possible enhancement is a turbine vent to provide a simple form of attic ventilation. A small roof turbine vent would add $115 to the job and a large turbine would add $145. All costs according to RSMeans 2015 Contractor's Pricing Guide.
- Skylights are a popular enhancement to the 2-story baths, bedrooms and halls. Tubular skylights allow in light and air but not a view. These would add from $150 to $600. Installation costs run from $300 to $700.
- A fixed skylight does not open, they only allow light and a view into the home. These begin at $200 per window and installation cost runs between $400 to $1300 per window.
- A vented skylight will allow light, a view, and ventilation. These open and close with a remote control. Costs for these are between $300 and $1200 each. Installation costs come in at $1000 to $4000. These require an electrician at an additional fee.
- A great option for preventing future leaks is to apply roof sealant. This typically costs $850-$1000 or a standard roof.
Additional Considerations and Costs
- Underlayment 6 is a waterproofing membrane always recommended to prevent the ingress of moisture and other elements. It also provides weatherproofing until the roof is installed. This can be found at approximately $61 per square or more depending on its brand and quality. It is required depending on the type of roofing material and slope. Check local codes for requirements.
- Composite roofing 1 can compete with cedar in most aspects except cedar weathers to a nice natural silvery patina 7 over the years but cedar-look composite will not.
- If the roof had been a steep pitch 8 such as the roof on a Queen Anne Victorian, for example, it would have added $25.50 per roofing square to the costs or a total of $610.