How Much Does It Cost to Install Gutters?
The average cost to install galvanized or aluminum gutters is approximately $4 to $9 per linear foot. There are also vinyl gutters which are much easier to install, and which run at roughly $3 to $5 per linear foot. Therefore, installing from 125 to 200 feet of gutters will cost $1050-$2400.
These prices, however, tend to apply strictly to the DIY homeowners. When a professional gutter company is hired for the work the prices will climb a bit with averages ranging from $1050 and $2400, and with separate prices assigned to downspout installations.
For the purpose of this discussion we will look at the price and requirements to install 200 feet of gutters.
For the gutter installation, the typical costs include:
- Materials - costs for gutters range widely with PVC and vinyl 1 being the least expensive. There are also aluminum gutters (which dent very easily and which become brittle with prolonged exposure to the elements), wood gutters, galvanized steel 2 gutters, and even copper gutters. Plastics range from $3 to $5 per foot, aluminum average $4 to $9, wood are around $16 per foot, steel are from $4 to $8, and copper will be the most expensive with an average price of $20 per foot; and
- Labor - when the homeowner decides to have the job done by a professional, they will have to add more to the budget for this part of the work. A good carpenter or "handyman" can usually handle a gutter guard installation in a very short period of time.It would require the average contractor around seven hours to install a 50 foot section, which means that the project described here would require three days of work and a total of $2200 to complete.
Enhancement and Improvement Costs
- Gutter Drainage - it will usually require no more than $160 to pay a professional to design and install a system for the drainage of gutter water away from the house or foundation;
- Removal and Disposal - removing old gutters and disposing of them will usually add to the total cost of the project. To pay a professional for the work will usually demand around $100;
- Cleaning - the average cost for a professional gutter cleaning is approximately $90 for a single service. In most areas it is necessary to clean gutters at least three times each year;
- Gutter Guards - there are dozens of varieties of gutter guards, with DIY and professionally installed options among them. The costs for a system can range from as little as $200 (DIY) up to $3600 for a professional installation;
- Downspout Screens - in addition to using gutter guards, a homeowner may want to consider installing downspout screens. These redirect floating debris away from the downspout opening and allow water to drain away immediately; and
- Heat Tape - there are many heating elements that are impervious to the effects of freezing temperatures, ice, and water and these will help to prevent ice from forming on top of, or inside a gutter. While a homeowner is installing gutters, or having them installed professionally, they may want to consider installing heating elements wherever icing occurs.