How much does it cost to design a new home?
Designing a new home or interior space with the help of an architect or designer can be very exciting and offers homeowners the opportunity to customize their new or existing home exactly as they wish.
Architects are hired to help bring the homeowner’s dream to life and are also involved with other aspects of the project including hiring contractors, getting the appropriate permits, ensuring that the home or space is being constructed properly and more. Designers perform similar work as architects but focus on the design of the interior space or home itself. Moreover their work must be approved by an architect before it can be used for construction purposes.
The cost to design a new home will vary based on the permits and plans that are required, the size of the home, the desired features, and the complexity of the project. The average size of a new single family home is 2500 sq.ft. for a two story structure. The average example of a new interior space in this guide is a 12'x16' room, which is 192 sq.ft. The standard examples of a 10'x10' kitchen and a 5'x8' bathroom are also included.
- Architects normally charge a percentage of the total gross cost of the construction budget for the home. The percentage can range from 10%-17% depending on how involved the architect is with the process. For a home with a $300,000 construction budget the cost to hire an architect would be $30,000 to $51,000.
- The hourly rate of a home designer ranges from $100 to $130 per hour.
- For a smaller home, the size of a one story single family home is about 1800 sq.ft. on average and the total home construction budget is normally $120 per sq.ft. or $216,000. The cost to design this project would be between $21,600 and $36,720.
- The cost to build a 2500 sq.ft. home is approximately $300,000 and includes $150,000 in materials and $150,000 in labor.
- A 12'x16' interior space can function as an additional recreation room, bedroom, or living area. A 12'x16' home addition can take about 8 to 16 labor hours to design and cost $800 to $2100 if charged hourly.
- A 12'x16' interior space will typically cost $22,000 to construct, and it can cost more if it is in an area that is difficult to access or requires substantial modification of the existing home.
- Architects or designers may also charge between 10%-17% of the home addition budget, which is a more common payment structure. If charged as a percentage, at the low end the cost would be $2200 and at the high end the cost would be $3740.
- The average kitchen is 10'x10' or 100 sq.ft. and the average construction cost for a standard kitchen of this size is $30,000. If the budget is $30,000, a percentage based design fee would be $3000 at the lowest and $5100 at the higher end.
- Interior spaces like kitchens, bedrooms and bathrooms are generally charged at a higher percentage because they can be more complicated to integrate into an existing home.
- A bathroom averages about 5'x8' and although it is a smaller space than a kitchen or a bedroom, it can still be complicated to design because of the current structure of the home or the desired features from the homeowner.
- With just standard fixtures, a new bathroom construction budget for a standard 5x8' bathroom can cost $17,000. Again, architects or designers will charge between 10%-17% of the budget, so at the lower end the cost would be $1700 and at the higher end the cost would be $2890.
Enhancement and improvement costs
- The main enhancement for this service is for the architect to manage more of the project. The more aspects of the design and the administration of the project that they are involved in, the higher their fee will be (12%-18% range).
- Interior design services are available from some architects if they are needed, and combining the services can sometimes save you 20% or more.
Additional considerations and costs
- There are many other costs with any construction project including the cost to hire contractors, land purchase costs, zoning permits, and other costs. These costs can be calculated with the help of the architect and are included in the total home construction budget.
- The percentage of the total cost will usually decrease for larger projects. For example, a $1,000,000 home will often be designed at an 8% architect fee, which equates to $80,000.
- Home additions are designed at a higher rate. For example, an addition to an existing home to add a larger living room at a total cost of $150,000 might be charged at a rate of 15% or $22,500. This is because smaller projects require more work in order to make the design compatible with the existing structure.
- A consultation so that the architect or designer can walk through the home and get an idea on where to include the new interior space may cost you 2 to 4 hours of labor, or $200 to $500.
- Zoning applications are often managed by architects and they may charge you a flat rate of $200 to $400 for them.
- If the homeowner has no idea how they want their home or home addition to look, preliminary schematics of the home that can be quickly edited by the homeowner can cost between $500 to $1500 and take 5 to 12 hours of labor time for an architect or designer.