How much does it cost to install a built-in entertainment center?
Add a custom piece to your home with a built-in entertainment center. For this example, we'll look at the cost of a 12'x10' built-in entertainment center made of oak wood with shelves and cabinets. This project will cost $8000-$9500. It is recommended to hire a professional for their process.
- Planning: most contractors and carpenters include the consultation and design processes in their labor cost estimates. In most cases, the preliminary measurements, meetings, and designs take about a week (20-35 labor hours - $1400-$2450).
- Materials: expect to spend $1000-$1500 on oak wood. Custom cabinets generally cost $500-$1200 per linear foot.
- Labor: carpenters charge an average of $70 an hour. This project will take three to five days to construct (24-40 labor hours, for a total cost of $1680-$2800).
Enhancement and improvement costs
- Countertop can be a great way to finish the entertainment center. A tile countertop will run about $20-$35 per square foot, while a more deluxe marble countertop will cost $50-$80 per square foot.
- Incorporating an electric fireplace into the entertainment center can increase overall costs by $600-$1000 or possibly more depending on the current heating system.
- The type of wood can have a big impact on your total costs, fire and oak are common, inexpensive woods, while cherry and walnut are more expensive, sometimes four times the cost of cheaper wood.
- If you are painting the wood, a 12'x10' entertainment center will likely need two gallons of paint or stain, for an average cost of $60-$100 total.
Additional considerations and costs
- Entertainment centers naturally have a lot of wiring and technical equipment. Built-ins 1 are a great way to conceal those items and create a clean and stylish area of your home. If you have multiple devices with lots of cords, be sure to talk to your contractor about a way to hide those things away.
- Some contractors or carpenters may offer a discount if the entertainment center is installed during a remodel or if it is combined with other projects. Talk to your contractor for specific discount details.
- Entertainment centers built in more remote areas of the home, such as a hard-to-access basement or upper bedroom, may require more labor time to construct because of the difficulty maneuvering and getting supplies to the area.