How much does it cost to install cabinets?
Cabinets define the personality of a kitchen and bathroom. This is the first part of a home to start looking outdated and upgrades can improve the value of a home. They also perform the important task of storing your stuff and keeping you organized.
The average project of installing 6 cabinets in a standard 200 square foot kitchen will cost $3,560 installed.
- Labor: the direct labor to install kitchen cabinets, including planning, area preparation, setup and cleanup. Professional cabinet installers typically charge between $35-$65. According to IKEA, one can estimate installation of cabinets at 1.25 hours per cabinet. For 6 cabinets, this would take around 7.5 hours and will cost between $260-$480.
- Materials and supplies: basic materials and supplies to install cabinets include fasteners 1, surface preparation and finishing materials, and connectors cost around $25-$30.
- Kitchen cabinets: non-discounted retail cost for basic grade wood cabinets can be sourced wholesale for $200-$250 per cabinet. Medium grade wood or IKEA cabinets can cost between $300-$500 per cabinet.
Enhancement and improvement costs
- Install soft close hinges 1 for an additional $8 per hinge 1.
- Install cabinet uppers to maximize space in a small kitchen. Cabinet uppers can double the costs of installation and cabinetry, but can also double the storage and value of the cabinet upgrade.
- Add custom hardware for a style upgrade for between $2 and $29 per cabinet and drawer pull.
Additional considerations and costs
- If only installing cabinet lowers, add open shelving to the walls for a low cost solution for additional storage. Floating shelves typically cost $50-$70 per shelf.
- The cost of removal and disposal of old cabinets typically costs $320-$800.
Cost to install cabinets varies greatly by region (and even by zipcode). To get free estimates from local contractors, please indicate yours.