How much does it cost to remodel a kitchen?
Kitchen remodeling can be done in many ways, and for this discussion we will consider the costs and requirements for a kitchen update of a 200 square foot kitchen. On average, kitchen remodel costs $57,000.
For the kitchen update, the typical costs include:
- According to Hanley Wood and their "Remodeling" magazine the average kitchen update in which cabinetry and countertops are replaced with "medium-grade" components, all appliances are upgraded to energy efficient models, laminate countertops are replaced, a new sink and faucet are installed, flooring is replaced, and walls and trim repainted will cost $20,320. The resale value of this update would hold at $16,234. According to Calfinder, 70 percent of kitchen remodeling costs are recouped upon resale.
- The above figures place the kitchen update at $101.6 per square foot. This pricing structure assumes that carpenters charge an average of $70 per hour, electricians between $65 to $85 per hour, painters between $20 and $35 per hour and plumbers between $45 and $65 per hour.
What needs to be included:
- 30 linear feet of cabinetry using same design / size with medium-grade oak cabinets - Average of $117 to $140 per linear foot for a total of $4200. This does not take into consideration the removal of old cabinetry and the potential for reinforcement of walls and floors. Such costs would be based on the average carpentry rate of $70 per hour.
- Energy-efficient range - Average of $400 to $600 (without delivery and disposal fees for old machine and without any rebates taken into consideration). Installation should be included.
- Energy-efficient dishwasher - Average of $400 to $600 (without delivery and disposal fees for old machine and without any rebates taken into consideration). Installation should be included.
- Energy-efficient refrigerator - Average of $800 to $1000 (without delivery and disposal fees for old machine and without any rebates taken into consideration). Installation should be included.
- Energy-efficient microwave - Average of $400 to $600 (without delivery and disposal fees for old machine and without any rebates taken into consideration). This might not include installation, and the average electrician would require no more than two hours to complete the project.
- Replace 30 linear feet of laminate countertops - Average of $20 per linear foot, for a total of $600.
- Install mid-level sink and faucet - Average price for a double basin sink is $220 to $380, and faucet set of $100 to $200, for an average total of $450.
- Replace existing flooring with medium quality resilient flooring - Average of $25 to $35 per square yard, for a total of $775.
- Provide electrical wiring and lighting to code - This is going to depend upon the amount of work required, but electricians average from $65 to $85 per hour. This project might be priced on a per item basis, or the carpenter might simply base it on the square footage.
- Provide plumbing to code - The average plumber is going to base their pricing on each individual element of the project. For example, the kitchen is going to require plumbing of some appliances as well as assembly of faucet and under-sink plumbing, at an average cost of $45 to $65 per hour, plus materials.
Enhancement and improvement costs
Additional considerations and costs
If you are going to work with a contractor it is completely acceptable to ask for at least three different bids from three different groups. This is going to give a very accurate idea of the total costs and the level of control you will have over project.
The National Kitchen and Bath Association recommends not to spend more than 15 percent of the market value of your home on a kitchen project.
Cost to remodel a kitchen varies greatly by region (and even by zipcode). To get free estimates from local contractors, please indicate yours.