How Much Does It Cost Cost to Install Christmas Lights?
Christmas lights are magical on the outside of a home, but they can be difficult to install. For a number of reasons, more people are turning to professional Christmas light services. For this example, we'll look at installing Christmas lights on the exterior of a 1500 square foot, one story home, which averages $200-$400.
- Many lighting companies include the cost of renting lights in their total cost. Others will install lights you already own. For the most part, lighting installation is sold on a package-basis, with the lights and labor costs included in the total. Most light installations take around half a day, although larger projects will obviously take more time. Be sure to get estimates from multiple light installers so you know exactly what is included in the package.
- Lights: Exterior Christmas lights typically range from $10-$30 per strand, depending on the style and size of the lights. Plan on 8-10 strands per house, for an average cost of $80-$300 total.
- Labor: If you supply the lights yourself, plan to pay around $65-$85 per hour for the labor costs.
- Take-down fees: Check to see if lighting removal after the holidays is included in your package. If not, plan to spend around half of your installation costs for removal service. For this example, it would cost $100-$200 to remove the lights.
Enhancement and Improvement Costs
- Most lighting packages include basic LED lights. If you want to upgrade to fancier lights or multiple colors, your total could increase 20%.
- Prices increase based on the number of stories of a house. The cost of installing lights on the second story is typically around twice of installing lights on the first floor.
Additional Considerations and Costs
- Homes with lots of landscaping and large trees can increase the overall installation cost. Get multiple quotes for specific details about your house.
- Some areas or neighborhoods have limitations on the amount and type of Christmas lights that can be put on a house. Be sure to check about the regulations in your area.
- Many Christmas light installers book very quickly, so it is wise to schedule your installation in September to get a good time before the holidays.