1,200 Sq.Ft. Roof Replacement Cost Guide
Updated: 29 Jun 2022
1,200 Sq.Ft. Roof Replacement
Updated: Jul 29, 2021
Reviewed by Adam Graham remodeling expert. Written by Fixr.com.
Your roof is one of the most important parts of your home, regardless of the shape, style, or size. Roofs keep out the elements and protect your home’s structure and belongings. A new roof can also enhance your home’s curb appeal. Roofs come in many materials and configurations, impacting the cost of a new roof. This means the cost to replace a 1,200 sq.ft. roof varies depending on its shape, complexity, and material.
The national average cost to replace a 1,200 sq.ft. roof is $5,700 to $12,000, with most homeowners spending around $8,400 on architectural shingles installed on a cross gable roof. This project’s low cost is $3,600 for 3-tab shingles installed on a gable roof. The high cost is $36,000 for a replacement roof of clay tiles with roof deck modifications and reinforcement.
1,200 Sq.Ft. Roof Cost Calculator
Many factors impact your new roof’s cost. These include the roof shape and materials. The more complex your roof’s design, the higher the costs are for the project. This includes roofs with steep pitches like A-frames and roofs with curves like mansards. Gable roofs and hipped roofs have the lowest costs per square foot for installation. You can also install many materials on your roof, ranging in cost from very low to very high. Below are the average costs to replace a 1,200 sq.ft. roof based on the project’s complexity and quality.
1,200 sq.ft. roofs can be covered in most materials, leading to a range of costs. The low-cost roof materials include 3-tab asphalt shingles and some metal roofing types. Standard materials include architectural shingles, composites, and many metal roofing types. The high-quality materials include copper and zinc roofs, slate, and clay tiles. Many of these materials also have a range of installation costs that impact your roof’s final cost.
Find the best roof installers near me
Additional Considerations and Costs
- Materials. You can use many materials to roof your home. These include asphalt shingles, metal, cedar shakes, and tiles. All materials have different costs that impact your project’s price.
- Lifespan. The lifespan of your roof is determined by the material. Asphalt shingles have the shortest lifespan at 20 years, while slate and copper can last hundreds of years with proper installation and care.
- Maintenance. Your roof’s maintenance is also determined by the material. Some materials like copper are low maintenance. Others, like tile, have higher maintenance. Speak to your installer about the maintenance your roof needs.
- Shape and pitch. Your roof’s shape and pitch impact total costs. The steeper the pitch and the more complex the shape, the higher your total costs.
- Guttering. It is a good time to install new guttering when replacing your roof. This can have an average cost of between $3 and $50 a linear foot, depending on the material.
- Permit. Most roof installations require a permit and inspection before starting. Speak to your local municipality for more information.
- Insurance. Your roof type may impact the cost of your homeowners insurance. Speak to your insurance agent for more information.
- Inspection. If you want to learn about your roof’s condition and if it needs a replacement, have an inspection done for $100 to $600.
- How many bundles of shingles do I need for 1,200 sq.ft.?
You need roughly 36 bundles of roofing material for a 1,200 sq.ft. roof.
- How many squares of shingles for 1,200 sq.ft.?
There are 100 sq.ft. in a square, so you need roughly 12 squares of shingles for a 1,200 sq.ft. roof.
- How long does it take to replace a 1,200 sq.ft. roof?
This varies depending on the roof complexity and materials. However, most can be installed in 1 or 2 days.
- How many bundles of shingles for a 1,200 sq.ft. house?
A 1,200 sq.ft. home needs 54 to 60 bundles of shingles.
Find remodeling contractors near you
Get free estimates on Fixr.com from trusted remodeling contractors in your area