How much does it cost to replace a 1,400 sq.ft. roof?
Get free estimates from roofers near you
1,400 Sq.Ft. Roof Replacement Cost Guide
Updated: Jan 01, 1970
Whether your home is small or large, a country cottage or modern beach house, its roof is always an important part of its structure and appearance. Your roof helps complete your home’s exterior, regulates interior temperatures, and protects your home from the elements. When your current roof is beginning to fail or show signs of age and wear, it is time to replace it. 1,400 sq.ft. roofs can be found on homes ranging from 800 to 1,400 sq.ft. These roofs can take on many shapes and styles and be clad in many materials, impacting your final costs.
The national average cost to replace a 1,400 sq.ft. roof is $6,650 to $14,000, with most people paying $9,800 for good-quality, algae-resistant architectural shingles installed on a cross-gable roof. This project’s low cost is $4,200 for basic 3-tab shingles installed on a gable roof. The high cost is $42,000 for a roof replacement using clay tiles on a cross-gable roof with deck reinforcement.
1,400 Sq.Ft. Roof Replacement Cost Calculator
In any roof replacement, many things impact the project costs. Roofs can come in many shapes, sizes, and pitches. The more complex the roof, the higher the installation cost. And the steeper the pitch, the higher the costs. So, roofs like mansards and A-frames cost more than gable roofs. Gable roofs come in many styles, such as clipped or cross, increasing the project complexity. Your roof’s condition also plays a role. Expect higher costs if you need roof reinforcements. Below is the cost to replace a 1,400 sq.ft. roof based on the levels of quality, difficulty, and installation.
The materials you use on your roof also impact the final cost. Some materials are more costly than others, such as slate and tile. Some materials are also more difficult to install and have higher labor costs than others, such as some copper roofs. Asphalt and architectural shingles and composite roofs are some of the most common types, along with many types of metal roofing, such as aluminum. These materials make up the low and moderate range of most roof costs.
Additional Considerations and Costs
- Materials. You can use many materials in your roof replacement. These can range from asphalt shingles to more complex materials like cedar shakes. The material can influence the final cost of your roof project.
- Lifespan. Your roof’s lifespan is impacted by the material. Depending on the material, your roof could last 20 to 200 years with proper maintenance.
- Maintenance. Maintenance for roofs also varies by material. Some materials like tile have higher maintenance than others because they require underlayment replacement periodically. Other materials like aluminum and copper are fairly low in maintenance. Ask your installer for recommendations on how best to maintain your new roof.
- Shape and pitch. Your roof’s shape and pitch impact the total cost. The more complex your roof, the higher the cost. Likewise, the steeper the roof, the higher your labor costs.
- Guttering. Replacing your roof is a good time to replace your gutters. This costs $900 to $5,000, depending on the material.
- Permit. Depending on where you live, you may need a permit to replace your roof. Speak to your local municipality to find out more information.
- Insurance. The roof type you install can impact the cost of your homeowners insurance. Speak to your adjuster to find out whether your roof has an impact.
- Inspection. If you are unsure of whether you need a roof replacement, consider a roof inspection. These cost $100 to $600 and provide a better idea of the roof’s condition.
- How long does it take to roof a 1,400 sq.ft. house?
This depends on several factors, including the roof pitch, size, and material. It can take one to several days, depending on these factors.
- How much is a new 1,400 sq.ft. roof?
The average cost of a new 1,400 sq.ft. roof is $6,650 to $14,000, depending on the roof material and complexity.
- What do most roofers charge for a 1,400 sq.ft. house?
A 1,400 sq.ft. home has a range of roof sizes and shapes. It can also be clad in many materials. You can have a range of costs from $4,200 to $42,000. Speak to your roofer for a more accurate idea of your roof size and complexity.
- How many bundles of shingles do I need for 1,400 square feet?
There are roughly 33 sq.ft. of shingles in a bundle. For a 1,400 sq.ft. home, you need 14 squares or roughly 43 bundles of shingles.
The information provided by our cost guides comes from a great variety of sources. For more information, read our Methodology and sources.