How much does it cost to install cable carpet?
Get free estimates from carpet installers near you
Cable Carpet Cost Guide
Updated: August 19, 2022
When looking for a thick, soft, and comfortable carpet for a bedroom or living room, cable carpet makes an ideal choice. Cable carpet is very similar to shag carpeting. It is a longer, thicker fiber that can create a soft, comfortable carpet. Cable carpet is not quite as long as a shag carpet and has a thicker fiber, so it is slightly easier to maintain, while having a similar appearance and cost.
Cable carpet can be found in most fiber types, including polyester, nylon, and wool. This results in a range of costs, durabilities, and maintenance levels.
The national average cost range for cable carpeting is $1,000 to $3,000, with most people spending around $2,000 on 200 sq.ft. of installed nylon cable carpeting in a blend of colors. The low cost for this project is $600 for 200 sq.ft. of polyester cable carpeting in a single color installed. The high cost is $5,600 for 200 sq.ft. of installed wool handmade cable carpeting.
Cable Carpet Cost Calculator
Cable carpeting can be found in many different fibers, colors, and styles. This leads to a wide range of associated costs. In general, polyester cable carpeting is the least expensive, while handmade wool cable carpeting is the most expensive. The material is also available in acrylic, nylon, and triexta, which have more moderate costs. Below is the average cost of cable carpeting in three different qualities, based on a 200 sq.ft. installation.
Cable carpeting has a longer, thicker fiber than what is used in most other residential carpets. This makes it an ideal choice for bedrooms and living rooms, but because of its crushability, it should be avoided in high-traffic areas. The longer, thicker fiber strands make this carpet soft and comfortable underfoot but more expensive than other carpet types. It can be used in wet areas if you use polyester fiber, which helps repel moisture. This material can be slightly higher in maintenance than other carpeting, but this depends largely on the carpet material.
Additional Considerations and Costs
- Maintenance. Cable carpet is slightly higher in maintenance. It should be vacuumed regularly and steam cleaned as needed. When using nylon fiber, steam clean it yearly.
- Handmade cable carpet. Wool cable carpets may be handmade. These typically have a cost of between $20 and $26 a square foot.
- Moisture. The longer fibers of cable carpet mean that some types can be susceptible to moisture. When using this carpet in a damp area, choose polyester, which is moisture-resistant.
- Durability. Cable carpeting is not as durable as some types. It should only be installed in low-traffic areas.
- Radiant flooring. You can install radiant floor heating beneath your cable carpeting. Like other carpet types, this may mean that you need to raise the temperature of the system to make it effective. Radiant floor heating has a cost of $10 to $25 a square foot.
- Sustainability. Sustainability varies depending on the carpet fiber. Polyester carpets can be made of recycled material, while nylon can be recycled. Wool carpets can also be highly sustainable.
- Material improvement. Material improvements have brought new popularity to cable carpeting. With softer, more durable fibers, you can now find this carpet type in polyester at a lower cost than other fibers.
- Crushability. Cable carpet is very crushable. For this reason, it should be used in low-traffic areas only.
- Thresholds. When installing the carpet in a room that abuts another material, you may need a threshold between the two spaces to make the transition. The cost of this threshold ranges from $5 to $50, depending on the material.
- How do you take care of a cable carpet?
Cable carpet can be cared for like any other type. Vacuum it regularly and steam clean as needed.
- How much does cable carpet cost?
The average cost to install cable carpeting is $1,000 to $3,000, with costs depending on the fiber type.