How much does it cost to install a medium to high-end shower stall?
Bathroom remodeling is one way to ensure a high resale value on an improvement project. Installing a shower costs $6000, including the shower pan ($300), a dual shower stall ($4800), doors ($2.50 sq. ft), plumbing ($45 per hour) and carpentry ($70 per hour).
For the shower stall installation, the typical costs include:
- Demolition work on pre-existing tub or shower stall, reinforcement of floor, and new plumbing as necessary.
- Installation of shower pan 1: if a tiled floor is not to be used. Many homeowners are under the impression that a tiled option is always the most costly choice, but the average builder-grade shower pan 1 is actually going to come at a cost of $300 while a well-made tile floor will come in at only $2 per square foot.
- Relocate or install fiberglass 2 dual shower stall with full-body-wash shower wall, surrounding tile walls or glass block dividers, glass doors and glass panels: The average shower stall of this type will cost $1300 in materials. Most of the installation work will be completed in sixteen to twenty-four hours for a $4800-$5400 total including the costs for carpentry, plumbing and masonry work.
- Install doors or dividers around shower: depending upon materials selected this could range from four hours to upwards of three full business days of work to complete. The average ceramic tile wall costs roughly $2.50 per square foot, and natural stone tiles go up to $5 per square foot.
- Provide plumbing to code:The average plumber is going to base their pricing on each individual element of the project. For example, the bathroom may require plumbing for new drains and faucets at an average cost of $45 to $65 per hour, plus materials.
- Provide carpentry to code: This is going to depend upon the amount of work required, but carpenters average $70 per hour. This project might be priced on a per item basis, or the carpenter might simply base it on the square footage.
Enhancement and improvement costs
- Polished nickel faucets- Average cost is $400 each plus four hours of installation;
- Install ceramic tile floor to match shower - Average prices for installation are between $11 to $22 per square foot;
- A light/fan combination- Averages at $180 and one hour of installation;
- Insulate and re-finish ceilings and walls - Fiberglass 2 wall insulation with R-30 value will cost $2.25 per square foot. Re-finish ceilings and walls - Drywall 3 throughout would cost $9.80 per panel (plus screws, nails and finishing compound); and
- Painting of trim and walls.
Additional considerations and costs
If you are going to work with a contractor it is completely acceptable to ask for at least three different bids from three different groups. This is going to give a very accurate idea of the total costs and the level of control you will have over project.
Remodeling Terms Cheat Sheet
Definitions in laymen's terms, cost considerations, pictures and things you need to know.
See full cheat sheet.
1 Shower pan
: Waterproof base that protects the subfloor of a shower
: Plastic that is reinforced with glass fibers. The fibers may be mixed randomly throughout the plastic, or come in the form of a flat sheet, or be woven into a fabric
: Type of plasterboard, commonly used to build walls and ceilings, composed of gypsum that is layered between sheets of heavy paper
Cost to install a medium to high-end shower stall varies greatly by region (and even by zipcode). To get free estimates from local contractors, please indicate yours.