How much does it cost to remodel a bathroom?
Bathroom remodeling can be extremely simple or quite complex, but for this discussion we will consider the costs and requirements for a bathroom remodel of a previously 40 square foot bathroom into a 120 square foot bathroom. Few such bathroom remodeling projects will be considered a "DIY" project, and several contractors might be necessary for the job (plumbing, installation, electrical, etc.).
For the bathroom update, the typical costs include:
- According to Hanley Wood and their "Remodeling" magazine the average bathroom update in which the room is expanded (estimated cost based on assumption that footprint 1 of the structure remains intact and interior space is consumed for the remodel), windows are added, fixtures are upgraded and relocated, and new cabinetry is added will cost $29,950. The resale value of this update would hold at $27,913. According to Calfinder, 80 to 90 percent of bathroom remodeling costs are recouped upon resale.
- The above figures place the bathroom update at $250 per square foot. This pricing structure assumes that carpenters charge an average of $70 per hour, electricians between $65 to $85 per hour, painters between $20 and $35 per hour and plumbers between $45 and $65 per hour.
- Add another window, bringing total glazing area to 30 square feet - Average price of $300-$700 per window, plus installation time of two to five hours per window;
- Relocate and replace standard tub with dual shower stall, with full-body-wash shower wall, tile, glass block divider, glass door, and glass panel - Average shower stall of this type will cost $1300. Most jobs are completed in sixteen to twenty-four hours for a $4800-$5400 total including the costs for carpentry, plumbing and masonry work;
- Relocate and replace standard toilet - Average cost is $270 plus two hours of installation;
- Add granite stone tops in custom cherry cabinet with twin designer undermount sinks - Average cost is $2550 plus eight hours of installation;
- Polished nickel faucets - Average cost is $400 each plus four hours of installation;
- Install ceramic tile floor - Average of 884 tiles to be installed for the 120 square feet. Standard prices for installation are between $11 to $22 per square foot for a total of roughly $1320;
- A light/fan combination - Averages at $180 and one hour of installation;
- A recessed medicine cabinet - Averages at $90 and three hours of installation;
- Insulate and finish ceilings and walls - Fiberglass 1 wall insulation with R-30 value will cost $2.25 per square foot and cost $684. Finish ceilings and walls - Drywall 2 throughout would require 15 panels of 4'x8' for walls and ceiling at $9.80 each (plus screws, nails and finishing compound) for an approximate total of $147 plus approximately 12 hours of installation (this does not include removal and disposal or original paneling and scraping ceiling paint);
- Provide electrical wiring and lighting to code - This is going to depend upon the amount of work required, but electricians average from $65 to $85 per hour. This project might be priced on a per item basis, or the electrician might simply base it on the square footage;
- Provide plumbing to code - The average plumber is going to base their pricing on each individual element of the project. For example, the bathroom is going to require plumbing of the new drains, faucets and sink plumbing, at an average cost of $45 to $65 per hour, plus materials;
- Provide carpentry to code - This is going to depend upon the amount of work required, but carpenters average $70 per hour. This project might be priced on a per item basis, or the carpenter might simply base it on the square footage.
Enhancement and improvement costs
Additional considerations and costs
If you are going to work with a contractor it is completely acceptable to ask for at least three different bids from three different groups. This is going to give a very accurate idea of the total costs and the level of control you will have over project.
Cost to remodel a bathroom varies greatly by region (and even by zipcode). To get free estimates from local contractors, please indicate yours.