How much does it cost to install custom cabinets?
Custom cabinetry is a beautiful addition to a bathroom, kitchen, office, or other home space. Cabinets can be installed in a variety of places, but we will look at the cost of installing custom oak cabinets in a standard 200 square foot kitchen with 30 linear feet of cabinetry (15 linear feet of base-mounted cabinetry and 15 linear feet of wall-mounted cupboards). The average cost for this project is $25,000, as custom oak cabinets average $500-$1200 per linear foot. Although cabinets can be installed on your own, it is recommended to always hire a professional.
- Materials: In general, the cabinets cost about 75% of the total costs. That means that a $25,000 total project provides roughly $18,750 in materials. Material costs depend largely on the design and type of wood for the cabinets. In general, cherry is considered one of the most expensive woods for cabinets, and maple and alder 1 are among the least expensive. However, in many cases, the cost difference doesn't equal the quality difference (as in, you may be paying much more for a product than is only slightly better quality).
- Labor: Contractors typically charge $40-$50 per hour to install custom cabinets. The installation process can take three to seven days (24 to 56 labor hours - $950-$2800) to complete. However, because custom cabinets are made to fit your kitchen exactly, the design and planning process takes longer (typically two to three months). Most cabinet contractors include the price for their preliminary visits, consultations, and design in the overall cost of the cabinets.
Enhancement and improvement costs
- Cabinet pulls and handles can dramatically change the look of the kitchen. The price per pull ranges from $2 to $29, but many contractors will install the items quickly or for no additional labor charge.
- Additional cabinets features cost more money.
- Pull-out shelves cost around $150 each.
- Garbage pull-out unit costs around $175, and finished ends around large appliances tend to cost $100 each.
- Added details, such as custom glass inlays on cabinet doors and hand painted details, can increase the cabinet cost by as much as 50%.
Additional considerations and costs
- If you are replacing old cabinets, you'll need to have them removed and taken to a landfill or recycling center. Plan to increase your labor costs by another one to two days (8 to 16 hours of labor cost, or about $320-$800).
- Many homeowners choose to get other upgrades done at the same time as custom cabinet installation, especially new moldings, countertops, or flooring. If this is the case, you may be able to get a discount on materials and labor by lumping your services together. Talk to your contractor about available options.
Remodeling Terms Cheat Sheet
Definitions in laymen's terms, cost considerations, pictures and things you need to know.
See full cheat sheet.
: A type of wood commonly used for cabinets. Alder can have a knotty texture, which gives a rustic look
Cost to install custom cabinets varies greatly by region (and even by zipcode). To get free estimates from local contractors, please indicate yours.