How much does it cost to paint a wall mural?
A wall mural is a decorative painting on a wall. It’s a fun way to add personality and fun to your home. This cost guide looks at a painted wall mural in a home. The largest factor in wall mural costs is the quality and cost of an artist. This cost guide will look at the costs for 200 sq.ft. of a mural.
- Labor and Material Costs: professional artists typically charge between $50-$70 per hour to paint murals on site. Labor and material costs are typically wrapped into total costs and put forward as a cost per square foot for the mural itself. An average artist takes 4 hours per 20 sq.ft. of low intricacy mural.
- $10 per sq.ft. (low intricacy)
- $15 per sq.ft. (medium intricacy)
- $20 per sq.ft. (high intricacy)
- Sketching fee: most artists charge a sketching fee to formulate an artistic vision and sketch of your desired mural. Expected cost: $600-$1,500 flat rate.
- Size: most artists request a minimum of 100-160 sq.ft. mural to get started. The larger the size of the mural, the greater discount your artist will provide in your cost per sq.ft.
- A small 160 sq.ft. low intricacy mural will take around 32 hours and will cost $1,120-$1,600.
- A 200 sq.ft. low intricacy mural will take 40 hours and will cost $1,400-$2,000.
- A 400 sq.ft. low intricacy mural will take 80 hours and will cost $2,800-$4,000.
- Intricacy: adding colors, design elements, and features to a design increases the design’s intricacy. Each artist has their own threshold for intricacy but you can expect to see price increases as follows:
- Mid range intricacy: it doubles or triples the price.
- 160 sq.ft. mid range intricacy mural will take around 64-96 hours and will cost $2,240-$4,800.
- A 200 sq.ft. mid range intricacy mural will take 80-120 hours and will cost $2,800-$6,400.
- A 400 sq.ft. mid range intricacy mural will take 80 hours and will cost $2,800-$4,000.
- High intricacy: it typically increases the price five-fold. Work hours are normally split between artists. Even very intricate designs should take less than 1-2 weeks to paint.
- A small 160 sq.ft. high intricacy mural will take around 160 hours and will cost $5,600-$8,000.
- A 200 sq.ft. high intricacy mural will take 200 hours and will cost $7,000-$10,000.
- A 400 sq. ft. high intricacy mural will take 400 hours and will cost $14,000 - $20,000.
Enhancement and improvement costs
- Add a stylish trompe l'oeil painting, which is a style of painting in which things are painted in a way that makes them look like real objects. This would be billed as a high intricacy mural and will cost 5 times more than a basic mural.
- Apply a sealant or protective coating to preserve the mural as long as possible. This is often wrapped into an artist’s charge, however, adding this feature should be less than $100.
Additional considerations and costs
- Work done that requires a ladder including ceiling work, will increase the cost. Expect at least an extra $2-$4 per sq.ft.
- Any base work that needs to be done will be charged separately, including the base color paint, hole filling, spackle 1 or furniture moving. This is often a line item, and can be avoided by preparing the area for the artist before hand. This is typically charged between $100-$200 or more depending on how much work is needed to prepare for the work.
- A mural can be added to any prepared wall surface although work done outside may take longer and cost more due to weather concerns.
- A mural creates a highly personalised home, but rarely increases the value of the home.
- No permits are required.
- Consulting an interior designer is a helpful way to ensure the look is exactly what you want. Interior designers typically charge $50-$200/hr.