How much does it cost to install shag carpet?
Get free estimates from remodeling contractors near you
Shag Carpet Cost Guide
Updated: 15 Oct 2021
Updated: Jul 29, 2021
Reviewed by Adam Graham remodeling expert. Written by Fixr.com.
Shag carpet makes a great choice if you are looking to make a statement with your carpet or want a warm and long-pile carpet for your bedrooms or children’s playroom. Shag carpet is a cut-loop carpet that uses fibers that are much longer than the average carpet. This gives the carpet a “shaggy” appearance, with the fibers falling in different directions. Shag carpeting reached the height of its fame in the 1970s and 80s, but it can still be found in many residential settings today. This carpet comes in multiple fibers and is soft and comfortable to the touch.
The national average cost range for shag carpeting is $1,000 to $3,000, with most people spending around $2,000 on 200 sq.ft. of installed nylon shag carpeting. This project’s low cost is $600 for 200 sq.ft. of polyester shag carpeting installed. The high cost is $5,600 for 200 sq.ft. of installed wool shag carpeting.
Shag Carpet Cost Calculator
Shag carpeting can be found in most carpet fibers, meaning it has a range of qualities and costs. Polyester is generally the lowest cost for shag carpeting, while wool has the highest. This material is also available in nylon, triexta, and acrylic, which fall into a moderate cost range.
Shag carpeting is popular for bedrooms, some family rooms, and children’s playrooms. It can be harder to maintain than other types because of its long fibers. It has a playful appearance with a soft and inviting texture. This material has increased in popularity in recent years as the carpeting has become easier to care for.
Most shag carpeting is machine-made. However, it is possible to find some handmade wool shag carpets. These, particularly undyed ones, are among the best quality in shag carpeting.
Get free estimates from trusted shag carpet installers
Additional Considerations and Costs
- Maintenance. Shag carpeting can be higher maintenance than other types. It should be vacuumed regularly to remove soil. Steam clean as needed to help with stains.
- Handmade shag carpet. Some wool shag carpets are handmade. These tend to cost between $20 and $26 a square foot.
- Moisture. Shag carpeting is available in a wide range of materials. Some like polyester can be used in damp areas. The long carpet fibers can make this material harder to clean than others.
- Durability. Shag carpet ranges in durability, depending on the fiber. Because the fibers are so long, it is typically not as durable as short-pile carpets.
- Radiant flooring. You can install radiant floor heating beneath your shag carpet. Like other carpets, you may need to increase the heat to make the system effective through the carpeting. Radiant floor heating costs $10 to $25 a square foot.
- Sustainability. Shag carpeting can be made from many materials. Some, such as wool, are very sustainable. Polyester can be made from recycled material, while nylon can be recycled after use. Triexta can be made with corn glucose, making it more sustainable.
- Material improvement. Material improvements have made shag carpeting easier to maintain. For this reason, it is making a comeback.
- Crushability. Shag carpet does not crush like other fibers. Instead, the varying strands tend to fall in different directions, giving it a shaggy appearance.
- Thresholds. When installing carpeting in a room that abuts another flooring type, you may want a threshold between the two to transition between the materials. The cost of a threshold ranges from $5 to $50, depending on the type.
- Is shag carpeting outdated?
While shag carpeting was most popular in the 1970s, it has begun to make a comeback in recent years.
- How do you take care of a shag carpet?
To care for a shag carpet, vacuum it fairly regularly. Depending on the fiber, you may also need to steam clean it yearly.
Find remodeling contractors near you
Get free estimates on Fixr.com from trusted remodeling contractors in your area