How much does it cost to install triexta carpet?
Get free estimates from carpet installers near you
Triexta Carpet Cost Guide
Updated: August 17, 2022
One of the newest and most innovative carpet fibers is triexta. This material is a subclass of polyester carpet but is more durable, sustainable, and softer than true polyester. Triexta carpet fibers are stain, mold, and mildew-resistant, soft, and highly durable. Many kinds of triexta contain corn glucose, making this carpet more eco-friendly and inexpensive. Most triexta carpets are sold under the brand name SmartStrand, which comes in different styles, colors, and types. This includes their standard SmartStrand, Sorona, which is made with corn glucose, Silk, and Silk Reserve - the highest-quality triexta strands available.
The national average cost range for installing triexta is $700 to $1,300, with most people paying around $900 for 200 sq.ft. of Saxony Sorona carpet installed. This project’s low cost is $600 for 200 sq.ft. of Berber triexta carpeting installed. The high cost is $1,400 for 200 sq.ft. of SmartStrand Silk Reserve plush carpeting installed.
Triexta Carpet Cost Calculator
All triexta is made by DuPont, and most of it is sold by Mohawk under their SmartStrand brand. You can find triexta by other retailers, but it is often called PTT polyester and often not considered high quality. For this reason, the cost ranges for triexta are tighter than other materials because there is less competition. It comes in several qualities, influencing the final cost. Below are the costs for varying qualities of triexta, based on a 200 sq.ft. installation.
Triexta can be found in nearly all types and styles. It is stain-resistant, crush-resistant, and mold and mildew-resistant. It is soft like polyester but as durable as nylon. It must be steam cleaned yearly, like nylon.
Typically, the softer the triexta, the higher its cost. So, a SmartStrand Silk Reserve is much plusher, denser, and softer but more costly than their standard SmartStrand or Silk lines.
Approximately 30% to 40% of all triexta is made from corn glucose. This means it is a better eco-friendly alternative than standard triexta. It has a mid-range cost for this option, making it an affordable way to have an environmentally friendly and sustainable option.
Additional Considerations and Costs
- Maintenance. Triexta is fairly easy to maintain. Vacuum it regularly to remove soil and wipe spills as soon as they are noticed. Steam clean it yearly for the best results.
- Handmade triexta carpet. Triexta is not available handmade or in broadloom. It is a machine-made-only fiber.
- Moisture. Triexta is mold and mildew-resistant but is more likely to stain than true polyester. It should not be used in wet areas.
- Durability. Triexta is more durable than true polyester. It does not crush or wear badly and can be used in moderate to high-traffic areas.
- Radiant flooring. You can install radiant heating below your triexta. You may have to use more heat to counteract the carpet’s insulating properties. Radiant heating costs $10 to $25 a square foot.
- Sustainability. Not all triexta is considered eco-friendly. Mohawk’s Sorona line contains corn glucose, making it more sustainable than other lines.
- Carpet pad. Most carpeting comes with a basic pad, but upgrading adds $0.30 to $1 a square foot.
- Baseboards. You need to remove the baseboards to install the carpet and reinstall once the carpet is in place. If you choose to have your installers do this, it can add $1 a linear foot to the project.
- Thresholds. If your carpet abuts another flooring material, you may need to have a threshold. This costs $5 to $50, depending on the material.
- Is triexta better than polyester?
Triexta is a sub-type of polyester that is much more durable and longer-lasting. It can hold up better in high-traffic areas than true polyester.
- Is triexta carpet soft?
Yes, triexta is soft and comes in different textures, including some that are extremely soft.
- What is triexta carpet made out of?
Triexta is a type of polyester made from plastics. Some types contain corn glucose, making them more eco-friendly.
- How long will triexta carpet last?
Triexta lasts 10 to 15 years. In lower-traffic areas, it may last 20 years or more.