How much does it cost to install velvet carpet?
Get free estimates from carpet installers near you
Velvet Carpet Cost Guide
Updated: August 19, 2022
Carpeting provides a warm and soft surface for every room. It comes in many textures, colors, and fibers, ranging from coarse to soft. When you want the ultimate in luxury, velvet carpet is often considered the most luxurious.
Velvet carpet is woven on a velvet loom. Traditionally, this was a cut-pile carpet with loosely twisted fibers. However, you can also find it in a looped carpet. Velvet carpet can sometimes be found as a variant of a plush carpet but is most often in its own category. It is not available in all fibers and is most commonly found in wool and some triexta types. Uncommonly, you may also find it in acrylic carpeting.
The national average range for velvet carpet is $1,500 to $3,200, with most people paying around $1,800 for 200 sq.ft. of installed Silk Reserve triexta velvet carpet. This project’s low cost is $1,250 for 200 sq.ft. of acrylic velvet carpet installed. The high cost is $5,600 for 200 sq.ft. of installed hand-woven wool velvet carpet.
Velvet Carpet Cost Calculator
Velvet carpet is considered one of the most luxurious carpet textures. It is also one of the longest-wearing textures. It can be found in some commercial spaces because it holds up well in high-traffic areas. It is most commonly found in wool, with the highest-quality being hand-woven wool. It can also be found in some types of triexta, such as SmartStrand Silk Reserve and some types of acrylic and nylon, which are best suited for commercial applications. The following costs are for velvet carpet installations of 200 sq.ft.
Velvet carpet is incredibly thick and dense. This provides a luxurious feel and softness. It differs from other carpets because most fibers are on the front rather than a mix in the front and back. This makes velvet carpets much thicker and softer than ordinary carpets.
They show footprints and vacuum marks, but the thickness makes this carpet incredibly long-lasting. Velvet carpets often outlast other carpets - even in commercial settings - meaning that while they are more costly, you often get a better value.
Additional Considerations and Costs
- Maintenance. Velvet carpets are low-maintenance. They only require vacuuming and occasional steam cleaning or spot treatment.
- Handmade velvet carpet. Many wool velvet carpets are handmade. They cost around $20 to $26 a square foot.
- Moisture. Velvet carpets should not be used in high-moisture areas because of the carpet’s density. However, the fibers used to make velvet tend to repel some moisture.
- Durability. Velvet carpets are very durable. They can outlast other carpet types for many years.
- Radiant flooring. You can install radiant floor heating beneath your velvet carpet. Its thickness and density mean you may need to increase the heat. The cost of radiant floor heating is $10 to $25 a square foot.
- Sustainability. Velvet carpet is available in wool, which is a very sustainable material. It can also be found in triexta, made from corn glucose, making it sustainable.
- Material improvement. There have been few changes to velvet carpet over the years. The material gets benefits from how it is made rather than the fibers.
- Crushability. Velvet carpet crushes, showing footprints and vacuum marks. This is due to how it is made.
- Thresholds. When transitioning your carpet from one room to another, you may need a threshold. This costs $5 to $50, depending on the type.
- How do you take care of velvet carpet?
Velvet carpets are fairly low-maintenance. You only need to vacuum regularly and steam clean as needed.
- How much does velvet carpet cost?
The average cost range for installing velvet carpet is $1,500 to $3,200 for 200 sq.ft.
- Are velvet carpets good?
Velvet carpets are soft and luxurious. They are also low-maintenance and highly durable. This makes them a good choice for many areas.