How much does it cost to hire a house cleaning service?
A house cleaning service can keep your home clean and tidy on a regular basis. Although there are lots of factors and options when it comes to house cleaning pricing, for this example, we'll consider the cost of a weekly cleaning of a 2000 square foot home, which averages $75-$125 for visit.
- A single visit averages $100-$150.
- For hourly projects, a typically house cleaning service charges between $25-$40 per hour. These projects can include tasks like vacuuming, tidying, cleaning bathroom and kitchen fixtures, and dusting. A one-bedroom, one-bathroom apartment will take between two to three hours to clean.
- Other companies charge a set rate for visit. On average, a weekly or bi-weekly cleaning costs $75-$125 for a 2000 square foot home. This service typically includes vacuuming, tidying, cleaning windows, dusting, cleaning countertops, and cleaning toilets, tubs, and floors.
- Other house cleaning jobs are charged on a per-project basis. These projects are charged separetly from the visit rate and can include deep cleaning the bathroom, scrubbing the kitchen sink or oven, cleaning the refrigerator, and more. On average, these additional tasks can run $25-$100 per project..
- Most cleaning services include the cost of materials (cleaning supplies, mops, rags) in their overall cost. However, some allow homeowners to purchase their own cleaning supplies. Talk to your chosen house cleaning service to see which option you prefer.
Enhancement and improvement costs
- If you want your house cleaning service to use environmentally friendly cleaning products or to use certain cleaning methods, your overall cost can increase by up to 25%.
- Cleaning windows adds another $4-$7 per interior window and $5-$8 per exterior window.
Additional considerations and costs
- House cleaning costs depend on a variety of factors, including the size of the house, if there are pets in the house, how many rooms need to be cleaned, the dirtiness level of the rooms, the materials in the room (wood floor, carpet, tile, etc.), and services required.
- Because house cleaning skills and rates can vary greatly, be sure to get written estimates from multiple companies before making a final decision.
- Some house cleaning services offer discounts for referrals or for signing up for a regular service, such as a weekly or monthly cleaning.
- A 10%-15% tip is standard for house cleaners. Add that to the total cost of your cleaning service.
- Although hiring an individual house cleaner can often be cheaper, a house cleaning company provides liability insurance and protection in the case of damage. Weigh your options before making a final choice.