How much does it cost to install a skylight?
The costs for installing a new skylight will range from $450 to $1500 depending upon the style selected. This is never considered a DIY project due to the need for skilled carpentry that prevents leaks and roof damage.
For the purpose of this discussion we will take a look at the costs and requirements for installing three different types of skylights. These are the tubular skylights, fixed skylights, and vented skylights.
Typical installation and materials costs include:
- Tubular skylights - the cost for this type of skylight ranges from $150 to $600. These are usually intended to add a huge amount of light to an otherwise dark space. Installation fees will range from $300 to $700 depending upon the amount of finish work required by the job. For example, some tube lights must be installed in the exterior roofing and have a finished extension leading through attic space to the ceiling below. This will greatly increase total installation costs due to the need for framing, sheetrock 1 installation, and even structural modifications;
- Fixed skylights - the average price of a single, high-quality fixed skylight is $200 or higher. The labor costs for installation will range widely depending upon the size of the window and the complexity of the roofing. Generally the costs fall between $400 to $1300 per window. It is best to consult with the contractor before selecting the window because the size of any skylight should not exceed more than 15% of the total floor area in the room. Additionally, the contractor will be able to indicate if the glazing should include UV protection due to the angle of installation as well; and
- Vented skylights - these are available in electric and remote control models, and will range from $300 to $1200 each. The installation costs associated with such a project are significant and will average between $1000 and $4000 respectively. The same selection criteria apply to this style as to the fixed skylights, and there might also be some additional fees due to the need for a licensed electrician as well.
Enhancement and improvement costs
- Estimates - like so many other major home improvement projects, the installation of a skylight is best done after getting a few quotes from contractors in the area. They should provide all necessary materials and labor fees in the estimate, and they should be willing to also visit the site and make a few recommendations about slope, size, and additional issues. The average installation should not require more than a two day time span, and if labor fees extend far beyond that it is best to work with another contractor;
- Blinds or shades - rather than limiting the amount of solar heat that passes through the skylights, a homeowner can opt to install blinds or shades too. This will allow them to cover the windows during the heat of the day, preventing sunlight from creating unwanted heat in the room. The average costs for blinds designed especially for use in a skylight will average between $200 and $400 each.
Remodeling Terms Cheat Sheet
Definitions in laymen's terms, cost considerations, pictures and things you need to know. See full cheat sheet.