How much does it cost to build a carport?
Though many believe a carport to be the simplest, and therefore least expensive, way to shelter a vehicle they can be extremely close in cost to a finished garage of the same size. For this discussion we will assess the cost of building a sturdy and completely detached carport of 676 square feet (26'x26') which will easily accommodate two vehicles, leave room for storage, and perhaps even a small work area. Building a carport is not really a standard "DIY" project, and several contractors might be necessary for the job (concrete, carpentry, electrical, etc.).
For the building of the carport, the typical costs will include:
- According to author of RepairHome, the average cost of building a carport begins at roughly $2,600, and for a two-car version the average costs will climb much higher. This sort of structure will average at $6,000. The resale value of this update would hold at $4,680, or an approximately 78% return on investment.
- The above figures place the cost of the carport at a very reasonable $8.80 per square foot. This pricing structure assumes that carpenters charge an average of $70 per hour, electricians between $65 to $85 per hour, and painters between $20 and $35 per hour. Traditionally, most homeowners who do not tackle the project themselves will usually opt to work with a single contractor, who identifies suitable subcontractors and pulls proper permits, for such a project.
What needs to be included:
- Arrange any required demolition, excavation, or site preparation - Average costs are going to vary according to the level of work necessary;
- Pour concrete footings and slab to grade - Average price of concrete is $75 per cubic yard, with piers and the full slab it that would require roughly 26 cubic yards and would cost at least $2000;
- Build wood framing and gabled roof with pressure treated lumber - Average construction methods use 4x4 posts bolted to 2x8 beams. The remaining structure will require rafters, galvanized bolts, joist hangers and angle brackets. Lumber prices will vary as will the design used by the carpenters constructing the garage, but roof slope should be around 6 inches;
- Corrugated PVC roofing - Average price of $12 to $15 per 24"x16' length or panel. This does not include appropriate washers and screws for mounting to structure or any sealants necessary to prevent leaks; and Materials will cost approximately $450 plus installation time of at least sixteen hours;
- Provide any electrical wiring and lighting to code - Electricians average from $65 to $85 per hour. This project might be priced on a per item basis, or the electrician might simply base it on the square footage; and
- Provide carpentry to code - This is going to depend upon the amount of work required, but carpenters average $70 per hour. This project might be priced on a per item basis, or the carpenter might simply base it on the square footage.
Enhancement and improvement costs
- Installation of T-111 paneling or lattice panels - Average prices will vary according to selection with the solid wood siding also requiring additional nailers to be installed between wall joists;
- Install sliding barn door and hardware - Average hardware set will cost $290 plus roughly six hours to install. This does not include the sheets of T-111 used to build doors;
- Install one 3'x6'8" exterior door with half-glass and lockset - Average of $250 to $500 depending upon the style of the steel door;
- Construction and installation of a workbench;
- Installation of storage loft using available space in rafters; and
- Installation of gutters and eaves.