Although many people use it as the catch-all of the house, the garage offers valuable storage and potential living space that can often be more effectively used with a remodel. Some people remodel the garage to turn it into an extra bedroom or living space, while others remodel it to make it more functional as a storage and workspace. Total cost depends on the size of the garage, age of the house, and the remodel purpose, but you can plan to spend an average of $6500 for a garage remodel with a common 600 square foot garage into a more functional space. Although it is possible to remodel a garage yourself, especially for smaller projects, hiring a professional contractor is always recommended.
Garage Remodeling Cost by Project Range
600 sq. ft. two-car garage
Remodeled into a living space
- Materials: The needed materials obviously depend on the nature of the work, but most projects will include:
- Drywall 1, which typically runs $1-$2 per square foot.
- Uneven, scratched or cracked flooring can typically be leveled with about $500 of material, plus around $750 for a polyurethane coat.
- Adding a crawl space or storage space above the garage will typically cost around $2 per square foot.
- Rewiring the garage averages $3-$5 per square foot.
- Paint will cost $30-$50 per gallon, depending on the brand and quality.
- For flooring improvement and any structural reinforcements with the walls or ceiling, you'll need a carpenter, which averages $70 an hour.
- Re-wiring and electrical issues will obviously require an electrician, who average $65-$85 per hour and can take a few days up to a week depending on the garage’s electrical issues.
- Painting the finished room will run you $20-$35 per hour, but a small space should only require half a day of painting or less.
Enhancement and Improvement Costs
- If you plan to add a new garage door, plan to spend another $500-$800 per single door and $200-$425 for a garage door opener.
- Although not all garages need the upgrade, adding insulation to the walls will cost you $0.75-$0.95 per square foot.
- Adding or updating cabinets and shelving can have a big impact on the space, and the cost can vary greatly. If you build your own cabinetry, plan to spend around $500 on materials. You can purchase installed cabinets at a variety of price points, ranging from $500 to $1800 depending on the size, quality, and materials.
Remodeling Terms Cheat Sheet
Definitions in laymen's terms, cost considerations, pictures and things you need to know.
See full cheat sheet.
: Type of plasterboard, commonly used to build walls and ceilings, composed of gypsum that is layered between sheets of heavy paper
Cost to remodel a garage varies greatly by region (and even by zip code). To get free estimates from local contractors, please indicate yours.
(600 sq. ft. two-car garage)
(remodeled into a living space)
Cost to remodel a garage varies greatly by region (and even by zip code).
Get free estimates from remodeling contractors in your city.
The information provided by our cost guides comes from a great variety of sources, including specialized publications and websites, cost studies, U.S. associations, reports from the U.S. government, contractors and subcontractors, material suppliers, material price services, and other vendor websites. For more information, read our Methodology and sources
remodeling contractors near you
Get free estimates on FIXR from trusted remodeling contractors in your area