How much does it cost to build a detached garage?
For this discussion we will assess the costs of building detached a two-car as well as a four car garage. The measurements of the average two car model is 26'x26'or 676 square feet. The average square footage of a four car garage is 48'x30' or 1440 square feet. Both easily accommodate vehicles, but also provide ample room for storage and even a small work area.
Building either of these garages would not be considered any sort of "DIY" project, and professional contractors will be necessary for the job.
For the building of the garages, the typical costs will include:
- Two car - According to Hanley Wood and their "Remodeling" magazine, the cost to construct a standard two-car garage addition is $58,432. This translates to $86 per square foot; and
- Four car - Traditionally, the per square foot costs on larger structures will decrease, and it is safe to assume a $60 per square foot cost on the larger unit. This translates to a total cost of $86,400.
What needs to be included:
- Excavation and site preparation - The average costs are going to vary according to the level of work necessary;
- Concrete footings 1 and slab "to grade" - The average price of concrete is $75 per cubic yard, with the full slab it that would require roughly 13 cubic yards for the two car version at a cost of $975, while it would take 27 cubic yards for the four car version at a cost of $2025;
- Roof trusses 2 and a support beam system - lumber prices vary according to the design used in constructing the garage. The project should require 2x4 wood framing, OSB structural sheathing, and a roof at 6/12 pitch;
- Asphalt 3 shingles 4 with galvanized flashing 5 - this will cost an average of $80 to $100 per square of 50-year shingles 4 (which cover around 100 square feet). The two car garage would have a total of 728 square feet for a cost of $700, and the four car garage would have a total of 1728 square feet at a cost of $1700 - both sets of prices are for materials only;
- Vinyl 6 siding and trim - Average price of $7 per square foot installed, and for the two car garage would need 1040 square feet at a cost of $7200, and for the four car garage it would take 1560 square feet at a cost of $10920;
- Double-hung 30-by-48-inch vinyl 6 windows - Average price of $300-$700 per window;
- Install 3'x6'8" exterior doors with half-glass and locksets - Average of $250 to $1000 each;
- Electrical wiring and exterior lighting to code - This is going to depend upon the amount of work required, and must include a 100-amp breaker and an independent panel. Electricians average from $65 to $85 per hour. This project might be priced on a per item basis, or the electrician might simply base it on the square footage.
Remodeling Terms Cheat Sheet
Definitions in laymen's terms, cost considerations, pictures and things you need to know.
See full cheat sheet.
: A support for the foundation of a house that also helps prevent settling. It is typically made of concrete reinforced with rebar, but can also be made of masonry or brick. It is usually built under a heavier part of the house like a wall or column, to distribute the weight of the house over a larger area.
: Structural framework used to support a roof
: A viscous, black mixture of hydrocarbons often used for roofing and waterproofing. It is also used in asphalt for paving roads
: A smooth, uniform, flat piece of construction material, available in a wide variety of materials and laid in a series of overlapping rows, used to cover the outside of roofs or walls to protect against weather damage and leaks.
: Pieces of sheet metal used on roofs to cover joints, such as where the roof meets the wall, or around a chimney or skylight, to protect them and prevent water leaking through
: A synthetic plastic made from ethylene and chlorine. Vinyl has many applications in the construction industry and it is widely used in sidings, window frames, roofing and gutters, among others
Cost to build a detached garage varies greatly by region (and even by zipcode). To get free estimates from local contractors, please indicate yours.