How much does it cost to build a swimming pool?
There are two types of swimming pools - the above and the in-ground varieties. For the purpose of this discussion, we will look at the costs associated with the installation of both kinds of modern swimming pools.
According to P.K. Data the average cost of a 19' diameter above ground swimming pool is $6,243; while the average cost of a 32'x16' inground swimming pool is $21,919.
Are any of the above ground pools a DIY project? While some manufacturers insist that an experienced homeowner could feasibly build the pool on their own, generally it is advisable to pay a professional to tackle the project. Additionally, the DIY pools will usually only come with a three year warranty or life span which translates to a huge amount of financial commitment for a very short-term feature.
Typical costs and materials necessary to professionally install swimming pools include:
- Above Ground - sold as kits or by professional pool companies, these will require some site preparation that could include the need to level the area and provide access to electrical service. Remember, all swimming pools will need at least a pump 1 to ensure water is circulated and cleaned, and these are usually powered by electricity. The costs of above ground pools have already been addressed, and most will come with pumps 1, filter systems, and ladders; or
- In-Ground - when pools are built as in-ground models the costs will automatically increase due strictly to the fact that site preparation is expansive and materials are significant too. Most pools begin with the liner, and they can be made from vinyl 2 or fiberglass 3. The vinyl 2 is the least expensive with a standard cost of $25,700. The fiberglass 3 bump up the costs to $31,400 on average. There are also concrete and gunite 4 pools that require around $29,600 to $50,000 to install. Most in-ground pools will also demand some sort of surrounding patio installation as well as a need for fencing (as required by law in many areas of the world).
Additional considerations and costs
- Accessories - In addition to the pumps 1, ladders, and filters already mentioned, both kinds of pools will need cleaning tools and brushes, vacuum assemblies, covers, and chemicals. Many will also need handrails 5, thermometers and even heaters. These costs start at roughly $400, and can easily reach well into the thousands. For example:
- Solar heater - the cost of a solar heating assembly can seem exorbitant (usually starting around $5000), but over the life of any swimming pool there will be much more energy consumed by the needs of the heater, and this is a primary reason to consider using a solar heating system for pool water;
- Chemicals - between the chlorine 6, pH testing strips, and other materials, the average pool owner spends roughly $80 per month for above ground swimming pools and $95 per month for inground swimming pools.
Remodeling Terms Cheat Sheet
Definitions in laymen's terms, cost considerations, pictures and things you need to know.
See full cheat sheet.
: A device used to move air, liquid, or gas by mechanical means
: A synthetic plastic made from ethylene and chlorine. Vinyl has many applications in the construction industry and it is widely used in sidings, window frames, roofing and gutters, among others
: Plastic that is reinforced with glass fibers. The fibers may be mixed randomly throughout the plastic, or come in the form of a flat sheet, or be woven into a fabric
: A type of concrete used for building concrete pools, lining tunnels, and structural repair. It is applied by being sprayed through a pressure hose, and produces a dense, hard layer of concrete
: A long bar designed for a person to hold onto, giving them support. They are usually found on the sides of staircases, and can also be found in bathrooms, for example, to help persons with disabilities
: A chemical added to the water in a swimming pool to kill bacteria and microorganisms that can make people sick
Cost to build a swimming pool varies greatly by region (and even by zipcode). To get free estimates from local contractors, please indicate yours.