How much does it cost to remodel a bedroom?
Bedroom remodeling can be somewhat basic or it can be really expansive, and for this discussion we will consider the costs and requirements for an average upgrade or remodel of a bedroom of 120 square feet in total workable area. This sort of remodeling project can be considered a "DIY" project, though it is just as practical to consult several contractors for the job (painting, carpentry, electrical, etc.).
For the bedroom remodel, the typical costs include:
- According to Tom Silva of "This Old House", the bedroom is one of the least expensive areas to remodel and yet still have a return on the investment. This is particularly true for those who improve windows (which can be a tax-deductible expense) and heating fixtures. For this project a 10'x12' bedroom will be remodeled with new drywall 1, eco-friendly wall to wall carpeting, brand-new insulated windows, a refinished ceiling, new trim and moldings, paint, and upgraded heating fixtures. The cost will be roughly $7,880. The resale value of this update would hold at $2340, or a nearly 30% return on investment.
- The above figures place the bedroom update at $66 per square foot. This pricing structure assumes that carpenters charge an average of $70 per hour, electricians between $65 to $85 per hour, and painters between $20 and $35 per hour.
What needs to be included:
- Four new windows - Average price of $300-$700 per window, plus installation time of two to five hours per window. Be sure that the windows purchased will qualify for tax deductions;
- Insulate ceilings and walls - Fiberglass 2 wall insulation with R-19 value will cost $1.80 per square foot (installed) $482 for the walls, and ceiling/attic insulation of R30 will be $2.25 per square foot and cost $270;
- Carpeting - Averages at $15 to $25 per square yard (with padding 3 and installation) totals $335;
- Finish ceilings and walls - Drywall 1 throughout would require 13 panels of 4'x8' for walls and ceiling at $9.80 each (plus screws, nails and finishing compound) for an approximate total of $240 plus approximately 12 hours of installation (this does not include removal and disposal or original paneling and scraping of amy textured ceiling paint);
- New moldings - Average of $3.00 per foot of installed molding for a total of roughly $550;
- New baseboard heating fixtures - Average of $125 to $500 per room;
- 1 - six-panel primed hardboard door 4 - Average of $178 each for a plus four hours of installation;
- Painting - this room is going to need sanding 5, priming, and painting according to the upgraded drywall 1 and ceiling. The average painter will charge between $20 to $35 per hour and require approximately 32 hours for a room this size;
- Provide electrical wiring and lighting to code - This is going to depend upon the amount of work required, but electricians average from $65 to $85 per hour. This project might be priced on a per item basis, or the electrician might simply base it on the square footage; and
- Provide carpentry to code - This is going to depend upon the amount of work required, but carpenters average $70 per hour. This project might be priced on a per item basis, or the carpenter might simply base it on the square footage.
Enhancement and improvement costs
Additional considerations and costs
If you are going to work with a contractor it is completely acceptable to ask for at least three different bids from three different providers. This is going to give a very accurate idea of the total costs and the level of control you will have over project.
Remodeling Terms Cheat Sheet
Definitions in laymen's terms, cost considerations, pictures and things you need to know.
See full cheat sheet.
: Type of plasterboard, commonly used to build walls and ceilings, composed of gypsum that is layered between sheets of heavy paper
: Plastic that is reinforced with glass fibers. The fibers may be mixed randomly throughout the plastic, or come in the form of a flat sheet, or be woven into a fabric
: A cushion placed under a carpet to absorb impact, thus extending the life of the carpet
4 Hardboard door
: A door finished with a surface made of high-density fiberboard, an engineered wood product also called hardboard, and factory painted to look like wood. This term can also refer to a door with a solid hardboard core and wood veneer panels
: Process of removing the top surface of a material, such as wood, using sandpaper and/or a specialized sanding machine (for large surface areas)
6 Canister lighting
: A type of recessed lighting where the light is installed into a hole in the ceiling, giving downward light.
: A device that senses and regulates temperature by turning heating and cooling devices on and off
Cost to remodel a bedroom varies greatly by region (and even by zipcode). To get free estimates from local contractors, please indicate yours.