How much does it cost to remodel a home office?
Home office remodeling is often a necessity, and for this discussion we will consider the costs and requirements for an office remodel of a 144 square foot (12'x12') room. Most home office remodeling projects can be considered a "DIY" project, but several contractors might be necessary for the job (carpenters, electricians, painters, etc.) especially if such work as installation or floor reinforcement become a necessity.
For the home office remodel, the typical costs include:
- According to Hanley Wood and their "Remodeling" magazine the average home office remodel in which cabinetry and countertops are installed, storage space is added, new carpeting is laid, drywall is updated, and all electrical wiring is modernized will cost $28,375. The resale value of this update would hold at $13,648, or a roughly 48% return on investment.
- The above figures place the home office remodel at $187.50 per square foot. This pricing structure assumes that carpenters charge an average of $70 per hour, electricians between $65 to $85 per hour, and painters between $20 and $35 per hour.
- Main room:
- Finish ceilings and walls - Drywall throughout would require 37 panels of 4'x8' for walls and ceiling at $9.80 each (plus screws, nails and finishing compound) for an approximate total of $500 plus approximately 24 hours of installation;
- Fiberglass wall insulation with R-19 value will cost $1.80 per square foot (installed) at a cost of $1008. The ceiling insulation of R30 will be $2.25 per square foot and cost $1350 plus twelve hours of installation;
- 3-six-panel primed hardboard doors - Average of $178 each for a total of $534plus twelve hours of installation; and
- A snap-together laminate flooring system - Average of $7 to $11 per square foot at 536 square feet for a cost of $5896 installed.
- Standard white toilet - Average cost is $270 plus two hours of installation;
- Vanity with cultured marble top - Average cost is $600 to $900, plus six hours to install and plumb;
- Resilient vinyl flooring - Average of $25 to $35 per square yard, for a total of $156;
- Two-piece fiberglass shower unit - Mid-range models run $700. Most jobs are completed in three hours for a $1000-$1200 total;
- A light/fan combination- Averages at $180 and one hour of installation; and
- A recessed medicine cabinet - Averages at $90 and three hours of installation.
- Bar area:
- 10 linear feet of raised-panel oak cabinets - Average of $117 to $140 per linear foot installed for a total of $1400;
- 10 linear feet of laminate countertops - Average of $20 per linear foot installed, for a total of $200;
- A stainless steel bar sink and faucet - Average price for is $320 to $880, and faucet set of $100 to $200, for an average total of $750;
- An under-counter refrigerator - Average of $400 to $600 (without delivery and without any rebates taken into consideration). Installation should be included.; and
- Vinyl floor tile - Average of $25 to $35 per square yard, for a total of $775.
- Provide electrical wiring and lighting to code - This is going to depend upon the amount of work required, but electricians average from $65 to $85 per hour. This project might be priced on a per item basis, or the electrician might simply base it on the square footage.
- Provide plumbing to code - The average plumber is going to base their pricing on each individual element of the project. For example, the under-sink plumbing will tend to come in at an average cost of $45 to $65 per hour, plus materials.
Enhancement and improvement costs
- Upgrade of heating and cooling system.
- Install new thermostat.
- Canister lighting in ceiling.
- Ceiling fan.
Additional considerations and costs
- If you are going to work with a contractor it is completely acceptable to ask for at least three different bids from three different groups. This is going to give a very accurate idea of the total costs and the level of control you will have over project.